Is going offshore the best investment plan to help protect an investor’s assets from the creditors or litigants? The answer may seem easy, but it is not. This is because it actually depends on specific case circumstances. However, to get a clear understanding of this matter, you need to consult a qualified and an experienced offshore asset protection specialist. What do you need to consider before making a decision as to whether to move your assets offshore? Below are some key factors to help you decide.
- The type of your asset: Offshore plans are mostly suitable for protecting your liquid assets. For example, if you want to protect your bonds, jewelry, stocks, short investments and so forth, going offshore is generally the best idea.
- The assets net worth: If your liquid assets are worth more than a million dollars, it is better to transfer them to an offshore company or entity for their security or protection.
- The legal hassle and the risk factor: Any high risk business or profession attracts or is susceptible to lawsuits. So if your business or profession falls under this category, then it is advisable to opt for an offshore option as it will offer you better protection as compared to a domestic one.
- The amount of money to spend: Offshore investing requires some more complex strategies so as to succeed.
- The time for creating an offshore planning strategy: A domestic investment option is only good if there are no claims against the investor, especially so at the planning time. However, it won’t hold ground if you are already a party to a suit.
So how does an offshore plan work?
There numerous methods to utilize when it comes to creating an offshore plan. An example of an offshore plan is to transfer your assets to an offshore trust and creating a limited liability company to control and manage the said trust. In this case, you as the offshore investor are able to control and manage your assets without the risk of ever loosing it. However, to do this, it is advisable to engage the services of efficient and trustworthy offshore protection specialist. The specialist will come up with the best offshore strategies that are beneficial to the offshore investor. Implementing a correct offshore plan on time assists to minimize the risks involved in offshore investing and actually assures an asset’s protection. A proper offshore asset protection plan makes it quite difficult for litigants and creditors from reaching your assets and recover on them.
How do you choose the best offshore specialist?
Always go for the offshore asset protection specialist who has relevant academic qualifications, the right asset protection knowledge, the required legal documentations, and the required previous offshore asset protection working experience. The specialist is required to help formulate proper offshore plans that are effective in protecting the investor’s property and that don’t have negative tax implications. A specialist helps judge whether a domestic strategy or an offshore plan would work best in a client’s unique case.